Sunday, August 19, 2012

"Short Story" Sunday

I have been thinking long and hard about a theme for Sundays. I feel like some days should have themes so I do not just sit here and ramble on about pointless things.

When I first contemplated "Short Story" Sunday I was going to focus on my fiction writing but I don't think I want to put my writings online until I research that more so for now I will tell stories of events that have happened in my life.

Today I want to share the story of my first, and only so far, trip to New York.


New York, oh how I love you. I may be a small town girl but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy big cities. I think that is why I love my area so much because I have the best of three worlds. I have the city of Houston, the beach in Galveston, and the the small town where I live. It is pretty great.

I had dreamed of going to New York all of my life and my senior year in high school I finally got to go.

A group of girls from my dance team were awarded spots on the All-Star dance team at our yearly dance camp and an opportunity to dance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It is pretty much a ritual on that team. You strive to make All-Star your senior year so you can go to New York.

It will be an experience I will never forget. New York is a city that makes you feel alive, the streets may be dirty but they are full of opportunities and memories to be made.

We didn't get to sight-see as much as I would have liked because we had practice almost everyday. We did go to Times Square, a Broadway show featuring Christina Applegate, a cool restaurant based off of Jackal and Hyde, a tour of the city, and a few other things.

It was so surreal walking the streets of new York in the parade. Walking past all of the monuments that have made New York what it is, like Central Park. We actually lined up on the stairs of the museum right across from Central Park before the parade.

One of the funniest things that happened was when we were walking the parade the news came out of Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey getting a divorce and it was scanning across the breaking news banner at CNN. It was pretty funny. I will never forget how I heard that tragic news.

I feel like this story may be told better through pictures so I will include them now...


Here are all of my teammates that went with us.


The bus we rode from the airport.


Inside the bus.


As close as we got to the Statue of Liberty.


Funny pose.


Me, Grandma, and my cousin Travis


A New York street.


I love this!


On our tour of the city.




Ground Zero



Central Park.



The Rockettes. They were so good.


Dinner at Jackal and Hyde. Our waiter was a professional ballerina. (bottom picture)


Shopping in the rain.


Riding the Subway.


Toys R Us at Times Square.


Broadway Signs.


Our names were on the marquee behind us at Times Square.




Hanging out with some Firefighters. The one in the top picture is a Chief and was actually interviewed during the parade so we got to see him on our videos when we got home. It was pretty cool.


I don't think it gets more American than this!


At Times Square.


Group picture with our leader for the week.


NYPD.


Our Thanksgiving dinner at a cool little diner.


The Late Show.


Our whole group.


Lined up at the Museum before the parade.


Morning of the Parade.


After the parade.

I totally agree with you. Our outfits were horrible but they didn't stop us from having a great time. I have tons and tons of pictures from this trip but I thought I would just hit the highlights.

Funny side story. While we were lined up at the museum I had some people that were in charge of the parade come up and try to take me and put me on a float. They thought I was AJ Machalka from Aly and AJ. Then when we got back to the hotel they had all of these pictures up that you could buy and there was a picture of Aly and Aj and this guy came up to me and asked if I was going to buy it. I was like why would I buy that? He said "because that's you!" I just laughed and said "no sir, it's not."

I want to go back to New York so bad but Trav is not a fan. It is ok though because I have a handful of girlfriends that would make the trip with me!

I hope you enjoyed "Short Story" Sunday!

And yes, we had to wear those horrible red jackets!

New vlog up also! Go check it out!

love.

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Pin us on Pinterest
Watch us on YouTube
Buy us on Etsy














No comments:

Post a Comment